Flip the Strip Initiative
The Daybreak Community Association encourages water-wise and sustainable landscaping. In fact, from the very foundation of the Community, Daybreak has been committed to sustainable growth and preserving scarce natural resources. To learn more, check out Daybreak's Water Conservation Plan.
Due to the current drought situation and incentive programs being offered by South Jordan City, we are experiencing a significant amount of inquiries about “flipping the strip” or incorporating xeric or water-wise landscaping. With careful execution and approval by the Design Review Committee, a xeric or sustainable landscape can be a beautiful addition and meet all of the requirements outlined in our Resident Design Guidelines.
From now until December 31, 2022, the $75 application fee will be waived for all applications that choose one of the Board-approved templates.
If you are considering “flipping the strip” or incorporating a water-wise landscape into your existing landscape plans, the following guidelines will help you get started.
- Any landscape modification must be applied for and approved by the Design Review Committee. Please fill out the flip the strip application.
- A water-wise landscape does not mean a plant or maintenance-free landscape.
- At least 80% of your park strip or yard must consist of plant material with a variety of colors, sizes and textures for year-round visual appeal.
- Drip irrigation is required.
- Steel edging is recommended to separate xeriscaped areas from turf.
- Dark brown or black, shredded, organic mulch or rock mulch may be used as a ground covering.
- Red mulch is prohibited.
- Rubber mulch is prohibited as this does not add value or nutrients to soil as it breaks down.
- Rock mulch must be neutral in color and 1-2” in size. No black, red or white rock is permitted.
- It can take at least three years for a water-wise landscape to be fully established.
- During the establishment period, your landscape will need to be watered frequently.
- Fall is an excellent time to plant your water-wise landscape to limit water usage while new plants are being established.
Cash rewards and plan reviews will be given for landscaping projects that meet program requirements.
FLIP YOUR STRIP REBATE*
Receive up to $500 for materials to replace the lawn in your park strip with a water-efficient design. Free rock mulch (up to 9 yards) and drip irrigation conversion kits are available for South Jordan City residents (April 1 - October 15, 2022).
*Homeowners are only eligible for the Flip Your Strip rebate. and not the Localscapes rebate.
Remove a minimum of 150 sq ft. of lawn and replace with metal or (concrete - Founders Village only) for a rebate of up to $250.
Remove a minimum of 200 sq. ft. lawn and replace it with concrete, pavers, patio, or deck for a rebate of up to $500.
SMART CONTROLLER REBATE
Receive a rebate for up to $75 when you purchase an eligible WaterSense-labeled smart controller. Smart controllers reduce water waste by automatically adjusting how often and how long a landscape is watered based on local weather and landscape conditions.
HOW TO APPLY FOR YOUR REBATE
Once you receive approval from the DRC, you will submit your approval letter to Connor Oswald with SJC at COswald@sjc.utah.gov
DRIP CONVERSION TUTORIAL Courtesy of Localscapes
https://www.highcountrygardens.com/ (online only)