Daybreak Soap Box Derby
LiveDAYBREAK is excited to announce it's first Daybreak Soap Box Derby. The Derby will be held on April 24th, starting at 3 pm until 6:30 pm. We have provided a few talking points below, but if you have any additional questions, please contact Henri Johnson at email@example.com.
What is a Soap Box Derby?
A Soap Box Derby is a race featuring gravity-powered cars steered by participants. Participants usually make their cars from Soap Box Derby kits or make them.
Who can compete in the Daybreak Derby?
- This event is for residents and non-residents of Daybreak.
- Youth between the ages of 10-18. Freestyle Division is 12 and up.
- A maximum of 25 racers per division on race day.
- There are primarily two divisions, Stock and Freestyle. The difference between the divisions is the style of wheels and the types of cars allowed. Typically the Stock divisions use cars purchased from the Soap Box Derby of America website, and the freestyle division cars are home-built or designed.
- It will be $20 to enter the race. This payment will be made on your RecDesk account. If you do not have an account or you're a non-resident, you may pay via square by inquiring through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the stock division, you may purchase car kits are available on the Soap Box Derby website for purchase "wheels are excluded" https://cart.soapboxderby.org/
- All cars must have braking, steering, and proper wheels. The freestyle division can use any wheel type as long as they adhere to the vehicle specifications rules.
- For the Freestyle Division, the "home-built" cars are encouraged to be creative and unique.
- There will be a prize for the most creative cars and race winners.
|Stock||10 & up||270 lbs. with driver||
|Freestyle||12 & up||360 lbs. with driver||
|Track width (outside of tires)*||24 inches||40 inches|
|Vehicle Height||3-inch clearance||60 inches|
|Seating surface height||3-inch ground clearance||96 inches|
|Wheelbase||48 inches||72 inches|
What are the Prizes?Racing Awards
- 1st place in each division will win a custom-made trophy. Plus bragging rights for the year.
- In the Stock Division, we will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes for the best-looking wrap.
- In the Freestyle Division, we will also have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes for the most creative/best-looking designs.
- Must be at the vehicle inspection to be considered.
When is the Daybreak Derby?
- Derby Day is April 24th, with races going from 3 pm until 6:30 pm.
Where is the Daybreak Derby?
- Kitty Hawk by Highland Park.
How does someone sign up to participate?
- Registration is $20 per racer.
- The Stock Division cars are available to purchase on the Soap Box Derby website: https://cart.soapboxderby.org/, and racers are welcome to purchase cars from LiveDAYBREAK at a discount.
- For the Freestyle Division, participants can also build their own car at their own cost to race in our freestyle division.
LiveDAYBREAK has a few assembled cars ready to race. (Mostly) You would just need to apply your logo, and you will be ready to participate. LiveDAYBREAK has a few discounted cars available for purchase for local businesses on an FCFS basis.
Please note that the vehicle inspection and Soap Box Car Show will be Thursday, April 22nd, on SoDa Row starting at 6 pm. This buffer will give each racer enough time to modify the car in case there are any inspection errors on their car.
Road clearance must be no less than 3”. To clear the ramp the ends of the car must be above a line of 20 degrees with horizontal from the wheel centerline. The furthest forward point of the car must be no higher than 12” so the starting gate will contact. The car must have 4 wheels and all four wheels must be in contact with the track at all times.
This is a family-friendly event. No politics, no religion, no offensive language, etc., will be allowed.
For additional information on availability and prices, contact Dan or Henri.
- Daniel Rodgerson email@example.com
- Henri Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org